Why is it Important to Do Annual Gas Fireplace Inspection?
A gas fireplace offers the most convenient way to keep your living space warm. When compared to wood fireplaces, gas fireplaces offer consistent heat without the hassle and strenuous maintenance. All the same, you still need to pay close attention to the upkeep of the fireplace. Problems may occur without you knowing and hinder the function and safety of the fireplace.
Hiring an experienced maintenance professional to inspect your gas fireplace is the key to catching issues before they get worse. It is recommended to get the fireplace inspected at least once a year. You can ask for a recommendation to a great fireplace professional at a fireplace store Toronto.
What is a Fireplace Inspection?
During a fireplace inspection, a technician takes a look at the exterior and interior of the fireplace. The objective is to detect issues. The technician will search for disruptions such as debris or buildup and make sure all the parts of the fireplace are working correctly. If issues are found, the technician will perform the necessary repairs and polish the fireplace.
The steps taken in a fireplace inspection depend on the type of fireplace you have installed as well as the technique used by the inspector. The common steps taken include the following:
- Cleaning the safety door, ignition or pilot and the gas logs
- Removing flammable debris and checking for related risks
- Testing the fireplace’s heat output and all controls
- Testing the carbon monoxide detector to ensure it is working properly
- Cleaning the vents, chimney, or flue and replacing chimney caps if deemed necessary
How frequently should the fireplace be inspected?
It is recommended to have the fireplace inspected once a year. Waiting longer than that will put you at a high risk of running into safety issues and pest problems. If you use the fireplace year-round, you may need to increase the frequency of the inspections.
Why is inspecting a fireplace important?
Even when a gas fireplace seems to be working properly, it may have issues that may not be detected with the naked eyes. Fireplace inspections guarantee that the fireplace is working properly. The technician will also restore it to the best condition.
A professional inspection of a gas fireplace will help detect malfunctioning in the fireplace. An inspector will check the following:
- Valves and connections: This is done to make sure there are no leaks.
- Thermopile and thermocouples: These are components that turn thermal energy into electrical energy.
- Ceramic logs: The technician will ensure ceramic logs are positioned correctly and working properly.
For your safety, it is critical that all fireplace components be working correctly. Malfunctioning components can shatter glass doors, cause fire damage and a range of other issues. Regular inspection will help:
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning
- Prevent blocked vents
- Prevent the buildup of dirt and debris
- Prevent gas leaks
- Reduce the risk of a house fire
Installing a gas fireplace will bring warmth to your home at a low cost. You, however, need to ensure you install the right fireplace. The team at Zoroast The Fireplace Store will help find the right fireplace, get it installed and help with maintenance.