7 Signs You Need to Hire an Electrician - Baltimore Post-ExaminerBaltimore Post-Examiner

7 Signs You Need to Hire an Electrician

As with almost anything we have at home, electrical wirings are subject to wear and tear and can get worn out over time. This may cause electrical problems that can pose serious dangers for your home and your family. Thus, homeowners must be armed with the necessary information concerning their electrical wirings, as well as the warning signs of electrical wiring problems.

Columbus Ohio Electrician company have put together a list of seven of the most common household electrical issues that indicate you need to enlist a licensed electrician’s services.

1. Flickering Lights When You Use Certain Appliances

Flickering lights aren’t just a nuisance or an inconvenience. They can also be a sign of an overloaded circuit or malfunctioning wiring. While it may not seem like a significant issue or hazard right now, delaying repairs can escalate the problem, which is why you need not wait before it’s too late to contact electrical repair services.

2. A Burning Smell

Electrical fires give off a distinct acrid or burnt smell, which you shouldn’t ignore. Otherwise, you risk burning your house down. If you notice a pungent burning smell in your home, the first thing you should do is turn off the power from your main circuit breaker as a preventive measure, and contact a professional electrician right away.

3. Your Wall Outlets Feel Warm to Touch

It’s a good idea to check your electrical outlets at home periodically. If you notice that any of your outlets feel unusually warm to touch, it is a sign of a potential wiring problem, and you need to seek out electrical repair services as soon as possible.

4. Faulty Circuits or Circuit Breakers that Trip Often

When there’s an excess current flowing in the circuit, your circuit breaker is designed to trip to prevent further damage. If your home’s circuit breaker constantly trips, it can be a sign of a serious electrical problem that requires the expertise of a qualified electrician.

5. Electrical Shocks

If you notice a minor electrical shock whenever you plug in certain appliances, or when you turn a light switch on, this could be an indication of a short circuit or loose wiring somewhere. Never ignore any minor shocks going on as they can easily lead to electrical fires and serious injuries. More importantly, never attempt to rectify the problem on your own, and call a licensed electrician instead to fix the problem.

6. Too Many Extension Cords

Most electrical fires are attributed to overloaded circuits. Extensions cords are meant as temporary solutions only. So, if you’ve got more appliances than what your current outlets can handle, contact a qualified technician for an additional outlet installation instead of merely utilizing extension cords.

7. Outdated Wiring and Ungrounded Outlets

While these may not be a repair issue per se, if you live in older homes, chances are your outlets aren’t grounded properly. Without proper grounding, your wiring system is prone to short circuits and can present a serious risk to fires and electrical shocks. Besides, this can affect your home insurance rates. In this case, you should call an electrician to have a proper grounding in your home in place.

When It’s Time to Call for Professional Help

When it comes to electrical issues, it’s hard to take chances. Each year hundreds of injuries and household fires are caused by faulty electrical wirings.  The thing is, many of these electrical hazards are actually preventable.

There’s no point in scrimping money for electrical repairs when you’re putting your property, your life, and your loved ones in danger. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Get in touch with a licensed electrician if you notice any of the situations above happening in your home.





About the author

COMMENT POLICY

Leave a Comment

Comment Policy

HOME / ABOUT / CONTACT / JOIN THE TEAM / TERMS OF SERVICE / PRIVACY POLICY / COMMENT POLICY