This year Baltimore Post-Examiner was invited to attend Cleveland Beer Week by Positively Cleveland. The fifth annual Cleveland Beer week took place Oct. 18-26 and featured 350-plus craft beer tastings, dinners, demonstrations, leisure activities, educational programs, and specials at bars, restaurants, and grocers throughout Cuyahoga County.
Cleveland Beer Week began in 2009 in northeast Ohio. It is a not-for-profit, event that raises awareness of the strong craft beer industry while promoting local businesses.
When you think of Cleveland you don’t normally associate it with beer. Cleveland is known for things like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the house from the Christmas Story.
But Cleveland is home to several great breweries and even some distilleries. On our three-day trip, sponsored by Positively Cleveland, we visited several breweries and to cap off the week we attended Brewzilla, which featured more than 70 breweries and a special Ohio Brewery with various local breweries along with a Belgian Beer Garden full of appetizers that tasted great with a craft beer. The Thor Platter Band provided the tunes.
These seven new beers were introduced during the week.
- Willoughby Brewing & Brew Kettle: COLLABORATOR, a Dopplebock (9% ABV)
- Market Garden, Indigo Imp & Rocky River: TALLBOY WHEAT, a Cocoa and Hazelnut Dunkelweisen (6% ABV)
- Thirsty Dog & Portside: EVIL MONK, a Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Belgian Tripel (11% ABV)
- Lager Heads & Cornerstone: PANCAKE PORTER, a maple, bacon and coffee Oatmeal Porter (6.5% ABV)
- Fat Heads & Chardon BrewWorks: WANGO TANGO MANGO, an India Pale Ale (7.5% ABV)
- Buckeye, Black Box & Ohio Brewing: TRIPLE CHERRY DELIGHT, a Belgian Tripel with cherries (10% ABV)
- Great Lakes & Cellar Rats: BERLOT, a strong ale aged in wine barrels (9.5% ABV)
If you are looking for a great destination for good food, beer and entertainment, then make sure to check out Cleveland’s emerging beer scene. See you there next year!
Below are a few photos from our trip.
Erik Hoffman is a web designer and computer consultant. He has run a computer consulting company for the past four years where he enhanced businesses by designing and developing user-friendly websites that have helped companies reach targeted revenues.