Today was a first for me. A very sweaty first.
I am more than capable and have stamina at the following:
- 3 hour Zumbathon – yes
- Three back-to-back netball matches – yes
- Doing five gazillion burpees in a field – yes
- Teaching three classes in a row – yes
- Dancing all night long – yes
- Running 5ks – yes
- Running a marathon – er, no (thanks)
- Bikram Yoga – yes, BUT (and it is a big but) I had a serious run for my money with this today
Bikram Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional hatha yoga techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s. All Bikram Yoga classes run for 90 minutes and consist of the same series of 26 postures and two breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%.
So, what did I learn from my virgin Bikram experience?
1. It makes you a very Sweaty Betty.
2. You should not use a white towel if you ever have applied fake tan. The towel gets orange.
3. I am not very flexible, but I am definitely someone who perseveres.
4. Do not try to count the poses. Once you get to number four you think ‘oh my gawd, how many more?’ so it’s best just to go with it and concentrate on your poses.
5. You have to look at yourself a lot in the mirror, which means you become very critical about your body (well, I do). Noted: I am not doing very well after Halloween and wotnot with the abdominal region!
6. Puce really is a colour, and my face was that very colour.
7. It’s okay to fart in Yoga (not me).
8. Everyone in Yoga is really lovely and compliments each other.
9. They have free shampoo and conditioner in the showers!
10. I must make sure I have a pedicure next time.
I do feel cleansed, though, as they said I would be, and I did have a banging headache afterwards.
Will I do it again? Yes, I will, but it won’t be part of my routine on a weekly basis. Just a monthly sweat-fest I think. And 90 minutes! That is a long time, folks. A long, long time.
I visited Bikram Yoga Columbia for my first experience, and they took my virginity in style! Do give it a try if you want to challenge yourself! But don’t drink tequila the night before. I heard horror stories about what happened to the guy who did that!