Gay Marriage: Why not support it?

I support marriage equality.   What’s not to support.   Two people fall in love and they want to get married, so let them.  Just 50 years ago, people objected to interracial marriages, made them a crime, and, even broke into the house of a married interracial couple, Richard and Mildred Loving, and jailed them for violating Virginia’s miscegenation laws.  The upshot was Loving v. Virginia, the landmark civil rights decision by the U.S. Supreme Court that struck down laws prohibiting interracial marriage.

Now the high court has to wrestle with two cases related to same-sex marriage—a California referendum that bars same-sex unions and a federal law, The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), that bans government recognition of gay marriage.

Polls of the nation split fairly evenly on support for same-sex marriage with a slight edge in favor.   But if the support of interracial marriage trend holds true for same-sex marriage, then the latter will increasingly be accepted by the majority of Americans.

Not all Americans, but most.  Afterall, interracial marriage, which 86 percent of Americans support according to a 2007 Gallup poll, still leaves 14 percent—42 million people– who don’t.  And that’s a lot of people.

Nonetheless, interracial married couples now have equal protection under the law—with all the benefits of every other couple — which is all that gay couples are asking for.






Obama administration has refused to defend DOMA.  And former President Bill Clinton said he regrets signing it into law.

The Supreme Court seems to date to be timid about the issue.  Justice Alito suggested a go-slow approach with the bewildering comparison of gay marriage to cell phones and the Internet.

Interracial-Marriage-sign-1“Traditional marriage has been around for thousands of years,” he said during the hearings.  “Same-sex marriage is very new. You want us to step in and render a decision based on an assessment of the effects of this institution which is newer than cell phones or the Internet? I mean we — we are not — we do not have the ability to see the future.”

How do you compare new technologies to human beings who have lived, loved and co-habited in various configurations for centuries.

Marriage itself has changed over time and in different cultures.  Women were once the property of their husbands.  Partners of different religions were discouraged and/or forbidden from marrying.   Interracial marriages were forbidden and illegal.

If you don’t like gay marriage, or interracial marriage for that matter, don’t do it.  But don’t keep anyone else from doing it.  The greatest threat to American marriage isn’t gay marriage but our 50 percent divorce rate, with less-educated, lower income couples more likely to split up than college educated

If we’re going to restrict marriage for some, let’s restrict it for everyone and just make it to get married unless you’re a well-educated, high income earner.    Let’s see what the percentage of Americans are who would support that.


5 thoughts on “Gay Marriage: Why not support it?

  • April 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM

    The solution is having the government get out of the marriage business completely. From a legal perspective only civil unions should be offered for straight or gay couples. If you want to get married, go to your local church, mosque, synogogue etc.

  • March 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM

    Do you guys realize there is still a strong religious argument against interracial marriage calling it immoral and disrespectful to God. After reading this argument I have decided to dismiss religious arguments against marriage equality as thinly wailed bigotry.

  • March 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM

    [You want us to step in and render a decision based on an assessment of the effects of this institution which is newer than cell phones or the Internet? I mean we — we are not — we do not have the ability to see the future.” -Justice Alito]

    There’s nothing new about discrimination, you pile of judicial fecal matter and fountain of imbecilic 3rd grade non sequiturs.

    The issue is not so new that those who would replace the Constitution with the Bible haven’t managed to install bans of gay marriage in 38 frickin’ states.

    • March 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM

      Matthew 7.

Comments are closed.