Lombardo: Release the body worn camera video footage - Baltimore Post-ExaminerBaltimore Post-Examiner

Lombardo: Release the body worn camera video footage

LAS VEGAS — The Baltimore Post-Examiner is hereby requesting Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo to immediately release the body-worn camera video footage of Officer Elif Varsin in its entirety, unedited with the time/date stamp for October 1, 2017.

We believe without any equivocation whatsoever that body footage will indicate exactly what time Officer Cordell Hendrex and Varsin along with armed security personnel from the Mandalay Bay left the security office after being notified of an active shooter at the Route 91 Music Festival.

We believe that Varsin’s BWC footage will also show them entering the guest elevator at the casino level and who exited at the 31stfloor and or 32ndfloor while Stephen Paddock’s gunfire was reigning down on the concert venue.

The BWC footage should also indicate the time Mandalay Bay armed security personnel, Varsin and Hendrex arrived on the 31st floor as reported by both Varsin and Hendrex in their Officer’s Reports.

Hendrex stated in his report that he did not turn on his body camera until much later when he was inside the stairwell. We also request that his footage containing the time/date stamp also be immediately released.

We also request that MGM Resorts International, the owners of the Mandalay Bay Hotel immediately release the surveillance video footage with the time/date stamp of the guest elevator that Varsin and Hendrex along with Mandalay Bay armed security personnel entered on the night of October 1.

The Baltimore Post-Examiner knows that the requested elevator time/date stamped surveillance video footage exists and will show who exited on the 31stand 32ndfloors while the gunfire was in progress.

MGMRI previously released guest elevator surveillance video footage of Paddock entering and exiting the guest elevators on the 32nd floor.

As first reported by the Baltimore Post-Examiner, Mandalay Bay Security Manager Sottile told the FBI and the LVMPD in a recorded interview that Hendrex had exited on the 32nd floor with him while the gunfire was ongoing and that Hendrex and he remained on the 32ndfloor after the gunfire stopped and covered Paddock’s room to make sure no one exited from the rooms.

Obviously, Hendrex could not have been on the 32nd floor with Sottile and on the 31st floor with Varsin and other armed Mandalay Bay security personnel.  If Sottile gave false information to the FBI and to the police, he should face criminal charges.  If Hendrex and Varsin were not truthful in their statements, then they should be terminated immediately and face criminal charges.

The LVMPD and MGMRI have been covering this up for the past eight months and it’s time for the cover-up to be exposed.

As previously reported in several stories by the Baltimore Post-Examiner, Varsin and Hendrex stated they were on the 31st floor of the Mandalay Bay while gunfire was originating from the 32ndfloor.

Hendrex stated he told everybody to retreat, that he was terrified, he hesitated, that he froze for how long he could not say and that he hesitated again while the gunfire was still ongoing, and he did not know what to do next.

Hendrex heard the gunshots, he knew what was occurring across the street and failed to act to protect those lives.

Varsin’s body-worn camera footage in conjunction with the guest elevator surveillance video footage should not only result in who is who is telling the truth but will also put to rest the timeline of when armed personnel responded to the 32nd floor.

The last timeline that was given by the police is that Paddock started firing at 10:05 p.m. and the last shots were fired at 10:15 p.m.

 

 

 


About the author

Doug Poppa

Doug Poppa is a US Army Military Police Veteran, former law enforcement officer, criminal investigator and private sector security and investigations management professional with 40 years of experience. In 1986 Mr. Poppa was awarded “Criminal Investigator of the Year” by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia for his undercover work in narcotics enforcement. He was also re-assigned to the Northern Virginia Regional Narcotics Enforcement Task Force for 18 months. In 1991 and again in 1992 Mr. Poppa’s testimony under oath in court led to the discovery that exculpatory evidence was withheld from the defense by the prosecutor and sheriff’s office officials during the 1988 trial of a man accused of attempted murder of his wife that led to his conviction. As a result of his testimony the man was ordered released from prison, given a new trial in 1992 and found not guilty. Mr. Poppa became the subject of local and national news media attention as a result of his testimony which led to the demise of his 12-year police career. After losing his job, at the request of the FBI, Mr. Poppa infiltrated in an undercover capacity a group of men who were plotting the kidnapping of a Dupont Chemical fortune heir and his wife in 1992. His stories have been featured on Inside Edition, A Current Affair, and CBS News’ Street Stories with Ed Bradley. Contact the author.
COMMENT POLICY

HOME / ABOUT / CONTACT / JOIN THE TEAM / TERMS OF SERVICE / PRIVACY POLICY / COMMENT POLICY