Las Vegas Judge orders MGM Resorts International not to destroy evidence - Baltimore Post-ExaminerBaltimore Post-Examiner

Las Vegas Judge orders MGM Resorts International not to destroy evidence

LAS VEGAS – Clark County District Court Judge, Mark Denton granted a temporary restraining order last week that will prevent the destruction of records related to the Oct. 1 massacre and all evidence involving gunman Stephen Paddock.

Attorneys representing Rachel Sheppard, who was shot and critically wounded while attending the Route 91 Music Festival in Las Vegas applied on Oct. 13 for a restraining order, asking for Denton to stop MGM Resorts International from destroying any evidence related to the massacre, such as video surveillance, radio traffic and key card records.

MGM Resorts International and Mandalay Corporation filed a response on Oct. 18 that opposed the order.

“This is about answers, it’s about changing the way that we do things in this country, and that these hotels in these events protect their guests,” Sheppard’s attorney Brian Nettles said.

MGM attorneys argued that there has been “absolutely no showing that my clients are failing to comply with their obligation to preserve evidence.”

“Our concern is that before the discovery period starts, something bad could happen,” Nettles said. “That something could be altered, something could be destroyed.”

Nettles also requested that judge allow camera access to the court proceedings.

Other defendants named in the negligence lawsuit are the concert promoter, Live Nation Entertainment, the Estate of Stephen Paddock and Slide Fire Solutions LP, the manufacturer of the bump stock.

Clark County District Court records indicate that on Oct. 10, plaintiff Paige Gasper also a filed a negligence lawsuit against MGM Resorts International and the additional defendants listed in Sheppard’s filing.

Another hearing is scheduled for Oct. 30.

 

 

 


About the author

Doug Poppa

Doug Poppa is a US Army Military Police Veteran, former law enforcement officer, criminal investigator and private sector security and investigations management professional with 40 years of experience. In 1986 Mr. Poppa was awarded “Criminal Investigator of the Year” by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia for his undercover work in narcotics enforcement. He was also re-assigned to the Northern Virginia Regional Narcotics Enforcement Task Force for 18 months. In 1991 and again in 1992 Mr. Poppa’s testimony under oath in court led to the discovery that exculpatory evidence was withheld from the defense by the prosecutor and sheriff’s office officials during the 1988 trial of a man accused of attempted murder of his wife that led to his conviction. As a result of his testimony the man was ordered released from prison, given a new trial in 1992 and found not guilty. Mr. Poppa became the subject of local and national news media attention as a result of his testimony which led to the demise of his 12-year police career. After losing his job, at the request of the FBI, Mr. Poppa infiltrated in an undercover capacity a group of men who were plotting the kidnapping of a Dupont Chemical fortune heir and his wife in 1992. His stories have been featured on Inside Edition, A Current Affair, and CBS News’ Street Stories with Ed Bradley. Contact the author.
COMMENT POLICY

HOME / ABOUT / CONTACT / JOIN THE TEAM / TERMS OF SERVICE / PRIVACY POLICY / COMMENT POLICY